Spring is quickly approaching, and I’m sure you are as excited as we are for brighter days. It’s also the perfect time to get our homes in order. But before you start, it's important to know what essential oils work best for spring cleaning.
The use of essential oils is known to help in several ways, including:
Serving as a powerful disinfectant and germicide
Can help prevent the spread of air-borne bacteria, viruses and infections within the home
Carry antimicrobial properties
Spring is an excellent time of the year because it allows us to eliminate all the toxins accumulated over the winter months. And while it's tempting to go on a shopping spree and buy every type of cleaner under the sun, there are a few base essential oils you should keep in your home instead.
1. PURE LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
With a clean, fresh and recognisable aroma, Lemon is the sweetness of the sun, a positive and joyful way to start the day with uplifting properties that make you smile and add light to your heart. Lemon Essential Oil carries powerful antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties, making it a powerful and versatile natural cleaning agent.
Surface cleaner: Add 40 drops of Lemon essential oil and 20 drops of Tea Tree essential oil to a 500mL glass spray bottle. Mix with a tablespoon of white vinegar and top with water. Shake vigorously before each use. Ideal for use in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry.
Microwave cleaner: Freshen and clean your microwave by adding five drops of lemon essential oil to a cup of water in a glass container and heat the water in the microwave for two to three minutes. Let the water/lemon oil mixture stand for five minutes without opening the microwave door. The trapped steam will loosen the grime, so you can clean the microwave when you’re done.
- Silverware and jewellery Cleaner: A cloth with 5 - 10 drops of Lemon essential oil will help spruce up silverware or polish jewellery.
2. PURE EUCALYPTUS ESSENTIAL OIL
Enjoy the cleansing properties of Eucalyptus essential oil and create a surface spray to clean bench tops, tables, and bathroom surfaces. Eucalyptus naturally fights mildew and mould and purifies the air. Plus, it leaves your home smelling so fresh and so clean!
Toilet Cleaner: Create your toilet cleaner easily by adding a few drops of Eucalyptus Oil to the toilet bowl and baking soda. Use a toilet brush to scrub the bowl clean.
Floor Cleaner: Eucalyptus is a natural grease buster. Keep floors clean and germ-free by adding 15 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil to a bucket of hot water and get mopping.
- Bin Refresher: Say goodbye to that smelly bin. The long-lasting scent of Eucalyptus has some serious power and can counterbalance strong odours. Remove the bin bag and sprinkle two drops of Eucalyptus oil in the bottom of the bin. Once it’s dry, replace the bag and let this odour-eater get to work.
3. PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL
Enjoy the clean fragrance of Lavender to freshen your laundry, cupboards, vacuum cleaner, shoes, and every room in the house.
Linen Cleaner: Combine one tablespoon of alcohol with 1/2 cup of distilled water and 25 drops of lavender oil in a small spray bottle for an easy DIY linen spray to freshen up curtains, pillows and fabric furniture in your home.
Dryer: Add 5-0 drops of lavender oil to wool dryer balls. These fantastic accessories can last for 2-5 years, and you can soften the feel and invigorate the aroma of fresh, clean clothes.
- Insect Repellent: Keep moths and insects away by adding a few drops to a cotton ball and placing them in closets, drawers, etc.
4. TEA TREE OIL
Tea Tree is native to Australia and has traditionally been used by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for its strong antimicrobial properties and to combat infections.
Surface Cleaner: To make a homemade tea tree oil cleanser, mix 5–10 drops of tea tree with water, vinegar and 5–10 drops of lemon essential oil. Then use it on your countertops, kitchen appliances, shower, toilet and sinks. Shake well before each use.
- Laundry Use: Add 5–10 drops of tea tree to your laundry detergent. You can also spot clean cloth, rugs or athletic equipment with a mixture of tea tree oil, vinegar and water.
5. MAKING IT EASY - BE CLEAN
Our uniquely blended oil, Be Clean, combines some of nature’s most potent cleansing and uplifting oils; Grapefruit, Juniper Berry, Fennel and Rosemary. Diffuse to help reduce indoor pollution and deodorise and refresh any room or surface in your home.
- Diffuser: Add 6-8 drops of your Be Clean essential oil blend to a diffuser.
- Mould & Mildew Spray: Add ten drops. Be Clean with 1 cup of white vinegar in a 250 mL Spray bottle. Shake well before each use. Spray on and leave for 20 mins, then wipe away with a damp cloth.
- All Purpose Cleaner: In a 250mL glass spray bottle, combine 1/3 cup white vinegar, 2/3 cup water, and ten drops Be Clean essential oil blend. Shake well before use. Spray on the surface and wipe with a clean damp cloth. Do not use on timber or marble.
Essential oils have been used for centuries to help clean and protect homes. Start your essential oil journey this spring!